We’re talking about finding motivation to write over at Marci Flinchum Atkins‘ We’re All in This Together blog posts this weekend. Sue Heavenrich, Vivian Kirkfield, Marcie, and I share our thoughts on the blog today. You can find more ideas from Alayne Kay Christian on tomorrow’s post.
Monthly Archives: June 2013
May is cram-packed full of friends with birthdays. What a great month to be born. (I should know. I’m a May baby myself.) Here in Western Mass, snow melted, lawns got green, leaves sprouted on trees, flowers bloomed, bloomed, BLOOMED! Ahhhhh… happy birthday, spring!
In this post, I have three heads up for you:
1. I’d like to ask you to support a writer-friend’s new book. Because of a thing between Tara Lazar’s publisher and Barnes & Noble, her book, The Monstore, won’t be carried on the shelves of this biggie chain. That means it will have a difficult time getting noticed and will likely have lower sales and little chance for a reprint or sequel, regardless of the quality of the book and the writing. Learn more about this on her blog, and if you don’t mind, please support Tara and The Monstore. She suggests these ways to help:
- Order it from places that already have it: IndieBound, Amazon, BN.com
- Call Tara’s local indie, The Bookworm, and order a signed copy to be shipped to you: 908-766-4599
- Visit/call your local B&N and ask them to order the book for in-store pick-up.
- Visit/call your local indie and ask them to order the book. They may already have it!
- Review THE MONSTORE on any book site.
- Mark it “want to read” on GoodReads.
- Let your local librarian(s) know about the book. The Monstore’s ISBN: 9781442420175.
2. I’ll be a guest on Donna Martin’s Writerly Wisdom blog post on Wednesday. I’ll post the link here on Wednesday morning.
3. Here are my favs of the picture books I read in May. Go read them if you haven’t already. If you have, why not read them again? They’re lovely.
- I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat by Carlyn Beccia, 2010, Houghton Mifflin Books For Children (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company)
- Owl Moon by Jane Yolen, illustrated by John Schoenherr, 1987, Philomel
- That is Not a Good Idea by Mo Willems, 2013, Balzar + Bray (HarperCollins Children’s Books)
I’m off to read some more.