Marcie Flinchum Atkins has posted this month’s edition of “We’re All in This Together.” I joined Donna L. Sadd, EW Clark, Liz Garcia, Vivian Kirkfield, and Marcie in discussing our favorite picture books. What are your favorites? Have you read ours? Take a look.
Monthly Archives: November 2013
This is my favorite picture book. Wait. This one is my favorite. Uh, no. Here, this one. This is …. um.
I read 136 picture books this month, most of them for my role as a judge for the Cybils Awards. I’m so glad for this opportunity. I’ve read so many wonderful books, and I shout a big thank you to everyone who nominated books for this competition. If left to rely completely on my own efforts, I may have missed some of these treasures or taken another year or two to stumble upon them.
Speaking of thanks, I owe the staff at my library a yummy treat of some sort for processing books I put on hold, notifying me of books that arrive through the Inter Library Loan system, checking them out, checking them back in, sending them back from whence they came. They. Have. Been. Busy.
Here are my favorites of books read during October (not all of these were Cybils noms):
- AGAIN! by Emily Gravett, 2013, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing Division)
- A HOME FOR BIRD by Philip C. Stead, 2013, Roaring Brook Press (Holtzbrinck Publishing Holdings Limited Partnership)
- A IS FOR MUSK OX by Erin Cabatingan, illustrated by Matthew Myers, 2012, A Neal Porter Book / Roaring Brook Press (Holtzbrinck Publishing Holdings Limited Partnership)
- THE BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO RUNNING AWAY FROM HOME by Jennifer Larue Huget, illustrated by Red Nose Studio, 2013, Schwartz & Wade Books
- BEN RIDES ON by Matt Davies, 2013, A Neal Porter Book / Roaring Brook Press (Holtzbrinck Publishing Holdings Limited Partnership)
- THE BLESSING CUP by Patricia Polacco, 2013, Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing Division)
- BRIEF THIEF by Michael Escoffier, illustrated by Kris Di Giacomo, 2013, Enchanted Lion Books
- COUNT THE MONKEYS by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Kevin Cornell, 2013, Disney-Hyperion (Disney Book Group)
- THE FAVORITE DAUGHTER by Allen Say, 2013, Arthur A. Levine Books (Scholastic Inc.)
- THE HIGHWAY RAT by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by Axel Scheffler, 2011, Arthur A. Levine Books (Scholastic Inc.)
- IN THE TREE HOUSE by Andrew Larson, illustrated by Dusan Petricic, 2013, Kids Can Press (Corus Entertainment Company)
- JOURNEY by Aaron Becker, 2013, Candlewick Press
- THE KINDHEARTED CROCODILE by Lucia Panzieri, illustrated by AntonGionata Ferrari, 2008, Holiday House
- LEONARDO THE TERRIBLE MONSTER by Mo Willems, 2005, Hyperion Books for Children
- LOCOMOTIVE by Brian Floca, 2013, Atheneum Books for Young Readers (Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing)
- THE MARKET BOWL by Jim Averbeck, 2013, Charlesbridge Publishing
- MOONDAY by Adam Rex, 2013, Disney-Hyperion (Disney Book Group)
- MY COLD PLUM LEMON PIE BLUESY MOOD by Tameka Fryer Brown, illustrated by Shane W. Evans, 2013, Viking (Penguin Group)
- ROSIE REVERE, ENGINEER by Andrea Beaty, illustrated by David Roberts, 2013, Abrams Books for Young Readers (Abrams)
- SOPHIE’S SQUASH by Pat Zietlow Miller, illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf, 2013, Schwartz & Wade Books
- TOO MUCH GLUE by Jason Lefebvre, illustrated by Zac Retz, 2013, Flashlight Press
- TRAIN by Elisha Cooper, 2013, Orchard Books (Scholastic Inc.)
My bonus for all this dedicated reading? Today I got my very own copy of TOO MUCH GLUE signed by Jason Lefebvre. Yay!